Re: Ideas for New Art Teacher

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 18:00:01 PDT

I have built my curriculum over the past 9 years and am constantly revamping
it. Personally, I like to have lessons planned for the next month, but leave
myself open. There are always lessons being presented on this list that I
want to do with my own students. As for themes, well that is a personal
preference. I do "mini" themes alot - all classes might do 1 or 2 projects
revolving around a theme, but it is really alot of work to do more - but
there are teachers who love them and do them all the time. Whichever fits
your own teaching style. Rather than focus on the lessons themselves think
about what do you want the students to learn. Look at the standards and make
sure that your lessons are going to hit on those. Look at mediums - if all
you do is collage with a class they are going to get really good at collage,
but are going to be very weak in all other areas. You can look at my site to
get a good idea of the range of ideas that I cover in my own classes. I
don't teach the same lessons from year to year (well, I do some every year,
but not all) because of time constraints, but I do try to teach the
standards.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Having said that, I have several questions about putting together a solid
> art curriculum such as: planning, do I plan out the whole year with a list
> of lessons that I need to teach? And how do I implement themes? Do you
use
> one theme that is carried throughout the whole year or do you have
multiple
> themes that are used based on seasons, other Core subjects, etc. Is art
> just drawing and painting or do I introduce sculpture, clay, collage,
> montages, printmaking, etc. How about crafts, is that consider too much
of
> a non-serious form of art?

---