Ideas for New Art Teacher

---------

From: Catherine Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 17:42:12 PDT

Hi all,
My name is Cathy and I'm a new Art Teacher. I will be teaching grades K&1,
5th through 8th in the Fall. However, Art is a year long elective at grades
5-8 at my school so my class size is pretty small, approximately 10 -20
students per grade. K & 1 will be taught during the second quarter and I
will have approximately 125 students total from the 5 classes combined.

This is my first time teaching Art and would appreciate any suggestions and
ideas on how to create my curriculum. I have been told that with K&1 to
focus on motor skills and and lots of products but I'd also like to have the
students learn a little about elements and principles of design. For the
upper grades, I want to create an art program that will keep the students'
interest and make it meaningful for them so that they when they walk out of
my classroom they feel a sense of accomplishment and renewed value in art.

Having said that, I have several questions about putting together a solid
art curriculum such as: planning, do I plan out the whole year with a list
of lessons that I need to teach? And how do I implement themes? Do you use
one theme that is carried throughout the whole year or do you have multiple
themes that are used based on seasons, other Core subjects, etc. Is art
just drawing and painting or do I introduce sculpture, clay, collage,
montages, printmaking, etc. How about crafts, is that consider too much of
a non-serious form of art?

Okay, I'm going to stop here and hope to get some replies on my queries.

Thank you all again for your help,
cathy