Re: arist first or teaher first? hs graphic ideas

---------

From: martha (artsymartsy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 15:44:09 PDT

(...Ruth asked....
> just one of those food for thought questions
> do you think an art teacher should be an artist first, teacher second
> or teacher first, artist second?...)

Personally, I do not think it matters as long as the person has a love for
teaching the arts. Although, I do not know of any art teachers who are not
artists. They may not sell their art work, but they do create in their spare
time. A friend of mine, who is not an artist, wants to get involved in
teaching history of art because of her own love of art museums. I became
involved in teaching art because I was not able to fit "art making" into my
busy schedule of working and raising four children. This is my second
career. I could not have taught art 20 years ago. Back then I did not have
the confidence that I now possess - confidence in myself and in my art.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Martha

---