RE: Subs in Texas

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 15:09:53 PDT

I had a sub that locked the door, and told the kids to climb in through
the window when they forgot their library books. (Part of me wants to
think he said it in Jest not knowing my G&T kids would do it.) The
office got a call from a parent next door about my room being broken
into by kids. They called my teammate (we were in portables) to look
into the situation. She went next door to find several of my kids
getting their library books and heading out the door. He let the kids
run wild, and no-one knew because we were in the last portable. I had
two parents show up the next morning, their grandson (they are raising
him and his sisters) had been threatened and his stuff damaged. 7 of my
11 boys either were suspended or put in ISS and the police were called.

A week later my teammate had a sub I warned him to on the QT to let
anyone complaining of a belly ache to go to the nurse, because of a
stomach virus that was making the rounds. Within an hour he walks to the
office (Leaving the kids alone), tells them he as caught the virus and
is leaving, and leaves without telling her what class! The secretary
checked the sign out sheet (we had at least 1 teacher from every grade
level out due to a workshop), grabs the nearest aide and tells her to
hightail it to Mrs. X room. Surprisingly enough nothing had happened.
The aide stays gets the lesson plans and starts teaching – they know not
to mess with her. The office would have been glad to leave it at that,
but district policy says the aides can’t cover classes. So they call in
another sub. The aid stays with her the first day and she seems to do
ok. The next day a spirited, student shows up at my door. He tells me
that I had better get over to his classroom because that woman is in
trouble and she kicked him out. Long story short I ended up with ¾ of my
teammate’s class in my room. I kicked my lesson plans to the curb. We
investigated the idea of a center of gravity by building found object
towers. The sub left a four page note that she wrote after the aide came
back to take over the class, she said my teammate had not left lesson
plans (she left 4 days worth of work the first child was trying to show
her the stack of activities when she kicked him out), that the students
needed psychiatric care and a list of disorders they were suffering
from!

We have some really good subs former teachers, people going to school
part time to become teachers, retired people from various backgrounds.
These three really took the cake though – and they were put on a do not
call list of our campus.

Kimberly

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it. - Aristotle

---