Re: Mary Ann Kohl (hi!)

---------

From: MAK ~ MaryAnn Kohl (mak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 10:10:50 PDT

8/1/03 4:27 PM: linalt@sbcglobal.net~linalt@sbcglobal.net~ What is the name
of Mary Ann's book about teaching art through children's books? I'm drawing
a blank.

Hi, Lin.
The title is:
Storybook Art: Hands-On Art for Children
in the Styles of 100 Great Picture Book Illustrators

Here's a project from the book you might enjoy, based on the style of Lois
Ehlert in one of her many book, Fish Eyes --

Lois Ehlert
born: November 9, 1934
I think being creative is a part of a personΉs makeup.
ItΉs something I feel very lucky about.
IΉve worked hard to make this gift as fine
as I can make it, but I still think I was born
with certain ideas and feelings just waiting
to burst out!
        - Lois Ehlert

Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On € Lois Ehlert, author & illustrator
  A child imagines what she would see if she were a fish, through rhymes,
counting, and bright colors. Count spectacular fish from one to ten as they
swim through pages of deep blue. One fish cleverly predicts the next number
in the counting sequence.

Imitate Lois EhlertΉs dazzling fluorescent collage style. Cut and paste
bright colored papers into shapes. Embellish the shapes with dots made with
a hole punch.

Materials
brightly colored papers (florescent colored papers are perfect for this
project)
choice of drawing tools ­
  pencil, marker, pen, or crayon
scissors
glue
paper punch (hole punch) - craft stores sell square squeeze-style punches
with fancy punch shapes

Process
1. Think of a simple bold object to draw, such as a fish, mouse, bird,
flower, bug, or a silvery snowflake! Draw it on the colored paper using no
details other than shape. Cut it out with scissors.
2. With the paper punch, add punched holes ­ or make paper punch dots to
glue on the paper shape. This will embellish the work with color and design.
Here are a few suggestions: two hole punches become a rabbitΉs round eyes,
five hole punches become the seeds in a cut apple, ten hole punches become
the freckles on someoneΉs nose.
3. Glue the object on a contrasting fluorescent color paper background.
(The color of the background paper will show through any punched holes.)
4. Continue to create and add more designs and details with cut-outs made
from the colored paper scraps and hole punches.

Variations
To imitate the dazzling look of EhlertΉs art ­
  ­ paint with Liquid Watercolors on white paper
  ­ draw with bright pastel chalks on deep blue paper
  ­ draw with marking pens on water dampened glossy paper

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
MaryAnn F. Kohl
art4kids@brightring.com
Join our new Art4Kids Email Group !!
a place to find art projects for kids.
Visit the group page and browse the messages
to see previously posted art ideas. Art4Kids group page:
To post, send a message to:
     art4kids@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank email to: