arist first or teaher first? hs graphic ideas

---------

From: Ruth Wilson (Ruth.Wilson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 08:59:51 PDT

just one of those food for thought questions
do you think an art teacher should be an artist first, teacher second
or teacher first, artist second?
and should a teacher who teaches painting have to have a degree in
painting?
(high school level)
and so on? just collecting input
also, thanks for the posting about getting slammed down for posting an
idea
it is sad because i know of people who have left
this fantastic group because of this.
just a few hs commercial art ideas:
get kids to bring in products (ie: their favorite soda, game box, etc)
let them take digital photos of it and then create a poster add using
PhotoShop, Illustrator (whatever you have)
i also show my kids a video tape i make every year of commercials (esp
from the
SuperBowl (watch content), they watch and critique them, digitize them
(run them frame by frame writing down what they see and why it is there)
target audience, etc. Then they use AppleWorks slide show Office Power Pt
or iMovie and create their own commercial for a product. I later put them
all
on tape and we group critique them.

Ruth

---