Re:what i am doing now for the "regular" classroom teacher

---------

From: gail kizis (smokealarm7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 19:55:52 PDT

"here in Texas we have the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills as our
 standards. And, yes, the arts are included as integral to the TEKS.
 But --
 and here is the rub -- as a money saving device, some school districts are
 seeing this as a loophole; that is, they are eliminating fine arts teachers
 and requiring that the mandated number of fine arts minutes per week are
 taught in the classroom by generalist teachers."
 pam stephens

I agree with Pam that the generalist classroom teacher is not equipped to
teach a complex subject such as art.
I have volunteered to conduct a workshop for the elementary teachers in our
district. We have 22 elem. schools and only
2 art teachers at that level. Only one elementary principle responded to my
offer so i will do a class for that school's teachers next week
But to get the information out to the other elementary schools we (the
secondary art teachers of our district) are making a packet of basics
(elements and principles, some basic vocabulary and ideas for talking "art"
when doing the good old geography poster for example. Even something as
basic as teaching them to layer colored pencils instead of letting students
bear down hard with a coloring book approach.
It's all we can do at this point. Even though we have art teachers in our
jr. highs, some are not interested in anything more than what they like (say
pottery ) and will only teach "how-to's" in that subject without the
foundations even being touched on.
What we get in the 9th grade are basically visually illiterate students who
parrot what they have heard their teachers say from kinder on. . . . . ."i
can't draw a straight line with a ruler."
Oh well, there are worse problems in the world and I am lucky to have a job.
Have a great year!
nancy in north texas

---