Re: Subs in Texas

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 08:08:33 PDT

I always wonder at the "powers that be" and the decisions they make. They panic over where that overhead projector is, yet will hire any warm body to sub. I had a man once who refused to teach elementary, so he sat in the office for 1/2 a day until my MS & HS classes started (AND THEY PAID HIM FOR IT!). Then one of my students said "crap". I had been working all year on getting him to tone it down, so this actually made me do the happy dance that he made a pretty decent word choice! Anyways, for all my trouble I got a 3 page letter on this boy and his rotten language (and crap is the only bad word that he said all hour). Forget that I had 2 x-acto knives disappear that day. This guy actually had a engineering degree. Glad he moved away! *L*
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
  It depends on the district..Our district will hire anyone who has finished high school to sub (lovely) I've had the wife of the local tattoo artist and a nurse's aid sub for me. Occaisionally, I'll actually get someone who's gone to college, but generally not. My worst sub (I get him all the time, too) is a retired podiatrist. He reminds me of Milton in the movie Office Space. I'm always expecting him to start muttering about his stapler.......He hides behind my desk the entire class period staring at the students in with fear in his eyes...It's pathetic.
  Jacqueline
  Quinlan ISD

---