Knott Just Another Quote - Culture

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 06:49:46 PDT

Well...pretty "quiet" morning on the lists....

Dawn had some great lessons on Visual Culture - getting the kids to look at
their culture...so I decided to see what kind of quotes I could find on
Culture. (Dawn, if you are reading I'd love to share those lessons with the
lists).

From Art Quotations:
http://www.painterskeys.com/quotationscf.htm#culture

To be able to translate the customs, ideas and appearance of my times as I
see them--in a word, to create a living art--this has been my aim. (Gustave
Courbet)

All art is an individual's expression of a culture. Cultures differ, so art
looks different. (Henry Glassie)

Culture is something that evolves out of the simple, enduring elements of
everyday life; elements most truthfully expressed in the folk arts and
crafts of a nation. (Thor Hansen)

The artist has to be a guardian of the culture. (Robert Longo)

From other sites:
The new human type cannot be properly understood without awareness of what
he is continuously exposed to from the world of things about him, even in
his most secret innervations. ~ Adorno, Theodor W. (1974)

I give culture this meaning: exercise of thought, acquisition of general
ideas, habit of connecting causes and effects ... I believe that it means
thinking well, whatever one thinks, and therefore acting well, whatever one
does. ~ Gramsci, Antonio

Each culture has its own characteristic manner of locomotion, sitting,
standing, reclining, and gesturing. ~ Hall, Edward T

[Culture] refers to the codes with which meaning is constructed, conveyed,
and understood ... cultures are maps of meaning through which the world is
made intelligible. Cultures are not simply systems of meaning and value
carried around in the head. They are made concrete through patterns of
social organization. ~ Jackson, P.

Our future depends on our combining our passions with our best interests. ~
Unknown

"Culture is the way we do things around here" ~ (from a DBAE class I took)

Art - Culture Advcacy
"Education is a primary agent of acculturation and art is closely linked to
culture. Since culture is a fundamental imperative after food, shelter, and
progeny, both education and art have survival roles."
Stuart Hodes, 1989 Arts In Education

More Art Advocacy Quotes:
http://www.americansforthearts.org/artsexchange/quotes.asp

Fabulous Friday already! My how time flies.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
http://www.incredibleart.tk

P.S. If you folks want to see this featured continued once school starts -
please reply to me OFF LIST (Jdecker@woh.rr.com).
Here is a fun thing...the administrator that all the staff hated at my
building years ago that I really admired is now in Cleveland City Schools
(District CEO) and just reiceved a $54,000 bonus. Her salary is $278,000. It
has to be the same person (I'm writing a letter to the Cleveland School
Board, just for fun - to solve my curiosity). She was/is really in it for
the kids. She got her bonus because of bringing up test scores and
attendance rates. She was the one who started Positive Attitudes Work at my
former school. That is one idea of hers that is still in place.

---