Native American Units - Excellent Resources (Indiana)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 07:46:40 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I am still "digesting" the link/info that Sara sent to me...
http://www.eiteljorg.org/TRG.html
I have asked Sara to post the good stuff she finds to list now so everyone
can see it right away.
This booklet on the Miamis (and others) in the Indiana Region is EXCELLENT.
I taught a lot of the big ideas to my 7th graders when we did our Ohio
Surrealism Unit. I wanted my students to learn a little about the Indians of
this region. My people (ancestors) respected the native cultures and lived
peacefully with the Indians (first in Warren, Ohio with an Amish
settlement). My ancestor was very troubled at what was
happening to the native people and wrote about it frequently (they settled
near Peru, Indiana -1840's). I have some of his "letters to God" in the
family
Bible. When the farm land was sold in the late 1970's, my grandfather
donated the sale of the land to Otterbein College for scholarships (so in a
way, he gave the land back to God - The Native American view of the land is
that it belonged to God). (Excuse my references to God - no offense
intended)

You can purchase Mihtohseenionki Teacher Resource Guide at cost from the
gift store - or download the documents. I have read quite a bit of it
already and it is all good. Click on Education, Programs and Events to see
what else they have to offer. Native American history should not just be
something we do at Thanksgiving (I am running a Native American feature of
sites on Incredible Art Department in the fall - probably October? or
November? Post good sites you would like to see featured.)

Mihtohseenionki Teacher Resource Guide --"This guide, complete with lesson
plans, overhead masters, handout masters and additional resources, was
designed to complement and add depth to our permanent gallery focusing on
Native Peoples of the Indiana region, past to present. A special section of
the book on the Miami Nation provides a rare glimpse from inside the
culture. The lessons were written to meet Indiana Academic Standards in
grades 3 through 5 and grade 8."

Also check out the "Go West" Education Packet:
http://www.eiteljorg.org/article1.asp?ID=4

Indiana list folks really should take the time to visit Eiteljorg in person.
I went there summer of 1998 and took my son with me.

The gift store is also great. I bought some neat stuff there:
http://www.whiterivertrader.com/whiteriver/

I will be updating my links to Eiteljorg to include these resource packets.
Eiteljorg Home Page: http://www.eiteljorg.org/ (Eiteljorg is on my USA
Museums page and Native American resources page)

Woody will like this:
Taos New Mexico:
The Taos Society of Artists became a favorite of the late
Indianapolis businessman and collector Harrison Eiteljorg and is a core part
of the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art.

Thanks again, Sara for sharing the cool stuff you find (Sara is my surfing
"Art Elf"). Sorry it took me so long to get this one out to everyone.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
http://www.incredibleart.tk

P.S. If you really want to read an "eye opener" - read "Killing the White
Man's Indian"
http://www.citizensalliance.org/Reviews/killing_the_white_man.htm
And for a real appreciation of Navajo/Southwest Cultures - read Tony
Hillerman's books. I have loved all I read so far.

---