Re: Is eric carle going to be at NAEA?

---------

LMiller435_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 17:36:53 PDT

In a message dated 08/31/2002 2:36:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ESears@Anchorage.k12.ky.us writes:

> in the world would you need to travel to NAEA to see Eric Carle -
> according to one of my first graders he can be seen in the check out lane at
> Target - they had a lovely conversation. He bought 'books and stuff to make
> books' and his next book will be about an "orange bird and an orange

Yes, Eric Carle is highly visible here, and spends time in schools and writes
back if kids write to him.

Actually I had decided not to go to the convention, even last year. I usually
don't go places if I have to fly, odd for someone who likes to go horse
backriding in Ireland and who used to have weekends in Paris. But, flying has
never been easy. I really love being at the conventions, as was mentioned
before, they are like AC on a hot day and I come back so excited to be
teaching. And I've spent a week with whole lots of people who think what I do
is important, as opposed to baby-sitting while they get their prep periods.

My principal said the other day, when I tried to change the schedule, that
the first grade teachers preferred to have the kids early in the day, so they
were not tired and could learn. I argued that I preferred them awake, too and
they needed to learn in my class, too. She didn't listen of course. Late in
the week she needed a favor. I said I'd be glad to if she changed her tune
about sleepy, tired kids, and wasn't she embarrassed that she even came up
with that argument. She had the good sense to blush and say I was right and
she would change her tune. When? Don't know.

The mention of Eric Carle, just made me try to see if I could go. Most of the
people I know in art always go. Sometimes their town even pay for some of it.

I came up against, Framingham's, we don't have money for substitutes, and
that made me think....

I'll wait for Boston.

Les

---