Re: Rennaisance Projects?

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 04:09:09 PDT

on 8/31/02 11:14 PM, Amoebametal@aol.com at Amoebametal@aol.com wrote:

> Our all school theme this year is Middle Ages and The Rennaisance. Does
> anyone have any "great ideas" on how to incorporate this into a K-5 art
> program?

I read a book last summer - and the title escapes me now - about the life of
the artist during the renaissance. i found it so interesting that i
presented the following idea to my student teacher:

Simulate the experience of apprentices working under an Italian Renaissance
master painter! Offer students the opportunity to learn about Renaissance
art, the artists, and the cultural conditions under which art objects were
produced. Have them assume roles of apprentices working under a ≥master
painter≤ (you). Assign them to work on a variety of projects typically
commissioned by patrons of the period: altarpieces, altar frontals
(paliotto), frescoes, cassoni, reliqueries, relief panels, coats of arms,
banners, statues, tomb slabs, illuminated manuscripts. Subject matter for
secular paintings of the period included important battles, a conquered
town, a military or political hero, allegorical paintings, Christian
figures; in homes- imaginary landscapes, heroes of antiquity, geometric
patterns, allegorical or mythological triptychs, playing cards, tarot cards,
board games.

she elected to have the 6th graders do (their own) family trees as
illuminations, pretending their parents were their patrons. They did their
family name initial in repoussť, using metal foil about 2.5"x3". this was
glued to the upper left corner of a 12x15 sheet of oak tag that had been
brushed with gold tempera. they extended the edges of the foil to make a
border along the top and left side which they filled in with an organic
design and painted that w/ jeweled tones of cake tempera, add a touch of
glitter w/ glitter pens. the actual family tree was done on the computer in
old english font and printed on some nice vellum paper which was then glued
in place on the oak tag background. they turned out really nice and lots of
kids gave them to their parents as holiday gifts.

the 5th graders did painted scenes after the limbourg brothers "book of
hours" (Tres Riche Heures??). they painted an outdoor scene depicting
themselves as renaissance era children in whichever month their birthday
fell. they turned out okay, but if i did that again i'd have them do it in
colored pencil..
we compiled a list of italian renaissance era names and, for the duration of
the project, called the "apprentices" by their italian names. it was really
a fun unit.

linda in michigan

---