Re: contour drawing

---------

KSchiavo00_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 13:35:29 PDT

In a message dated 08/31/2002 1:19:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gregjuli@execpc.com writes:

> What I do is give each student a long piece of
> thick yarn ,after talking about contour lines. They are to put their hand
> on the
> table , fingers opened and "draw" a contour of their hand with the yarn.

At the middle/high school- I try to get them away from this type of outline.
I stress the importance of detail to define the "volume" of the form. At the
HS- we begin with drawing our hand with fingers crossed/overlapped. How can
we show that we have 5 fingers? The students must then draw "within" those
outlines. Its a hard concept to comprehend but we practice a lot and I demo
a lot to the students. It is on my high school Art 1 final exam so I must
make them understand the difference between outline which focuses on shape
and contour line drawing which focuses on volume. Its a tough one- no doubt
about it and I am continually perusing art teacher sites to see if someone
has gotten a better way of explaining and more interesting projects to apply
contour line to.
Kathy in Kalamazoo

---