Re: contour drawing

---------

gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 10:17:37 PDT

I have to tell you about a silly little warm -up exercise I do with my 6th gr.
as an intorduction to contour line. I started it in an attempt to help them get
a better grasp of the concept. Ever since I've done it it sure seems like the
understanding is a lot better. What I do is give each student a long piece of
thick yarn ,after talking about contour lines. They are to put their hand on the
table , fingers opened and "draw" a contour of their hand with the yarn. They
then lift their hand up after outlining their hand to see the contour of their
hand. It is so simple, but it has made a difference for me.
MaryB

JKGIBB1@aol.com wrote:

> I would be interested to hear some methods which middle school teachers have
> used to teach contour drawing.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Irene

---