sketchbooks

---------

From: Patty Phillips (plphillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 08:34:29 PDT

I just finished making sketchbook with all my hs art classes. We made paste papers for the covers and for envelopes that we bound inside the books to hold handouts. Some of them are really beautiful. The surprising part of this project was that some of my best artists had the most difficulty with the book binding process.

On completion, students had to answer some questions (reflective writing), one of which was do you see other applications for this. Their responses were more than enthusiastic. They're looking forward to making scrapbooks and journals. One student even made a book for another class before we even finished our sketchbooks. One of my independent study students is considering creating a book of his tattoo designs for one of his projects this year.

We spent a little over a week on the whole process. It meant alot of work for me (you know how new activities bring out the insecurities in students), but it was well worth the time and effort.

By the way, did you all see our Little League World Champs from Louisville? We're more proud of their sportsmanship than we are of their title.

Patty Phillips

---