RE: New school nightmares

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 05:45:39 PDT

It dates back. The school I teach in was built in 1966. Overall a good
plan. Each grade has a "pod" with 4 classrooms. When grades need more
than 4 classes they used to be scattered to the 4 winds, but our
principal (2nd year) is making a big effort to group the reduction
classes together by grade level. It is the bathrooms that get me, in the
old area of the school the girls are on one side of the
courtyard/cafeteria and the boys are on THE OTHER SIDE. Now anyone knows
you can't leave elementary kids alone in the bathroom. The boys are
either doing flips on the stalls, spider man climbs up the wall, or
fighting. And the girls, well they get downright cruel or plot walk outs
of class (I actually twice overheard the same student trying to convince
her classmates to stage a walk out of PE. The cruel PE teacher was
actually making them work out.)

Sincerely,

Kimberly Herbert