Rubic for hanging and dismanteling (long)

---------

From: Justin Kramer (justkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 15:48:03 PDT

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. The event occurred yesterday and last
evening. I must confess that it was the smoothest and stress free student
exhibition that I have directed where so many students were directly hanging
and displaying the works. To assist anyone else who is planning this as
assessment item I have included the following. Each of the following
catagories were marked as competent or not competent and student were marked
as a group rather than individual. The catogories were:
1. safe handling of works as per direction
2. management of art works (so now art works were left behind, forgotten or
lost)
3. group work (I assigned the groups - mixed year levels - one Year 12 to
three Year 11 students, there was even a Special Education Unit group to
include)
4. cooperation (with supervising teacher)
5. attention to task
6. initiative in fulfilling task (this went really well students presented a
variety of solutions to problems and asked for approval rather than just
stating ... what should I do?)
7. management of equipment (in the past the hanging equipment always went
missing, hammers, tape, scissors, etc disappeared and later turned up in the
strangest of places, but only after the show was being pulled down)
8. safe use of equipment ( no miss use of the staple gun)
9. presented layout of artworks before hanging (solved problems of rehanging
and allowed of students to visualise hanging problems)
10. art works spaced evenly (allowed for all works to be hung with no area
looking crammed in while another was quite spacious)
11. art works labelled correctly (all in lower right hand corner)
12. art works securly attached (not good to have works drop of the walls
during the opening function - has happened in the past)
13. art works formally presented (we use double and triple hanging to get
all the works in and students use a grid hanging layout so we don't have any
strange variations, i.e. uneven hanging were the eyeline looks like a wave)
14. time management (all works hang in given time frame)
15. clean up after opening function
16. safe storage of art works

Students were given additional jobs on the night such as ushers, collecting
entry fee, selling raffle tickets, hanging promotion material around school,
dressing foyer to exhibition, assisting in drawing of raffle and advertising
exhibition on school assemblies. As I said it went very well and we raised
$600 clear on the night from parent contributions. In all a very successful
event. The students did a brilliant job.

Justin

---