Re: The Importance of a Sketchbook?

---------

From: craig roland (rolandc_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 15:22:39 PDT

>Hi all- I'm just looking for some insight... I asked my principal if I
>could send a letter home to parents requesting a sketchbook for grades 3-5
>for the school year (since the classroom teachers sent home supply lists
>last year with report cards). He wants me to explain in the letter why I
>want the kids to keep one. He says that parents won't understand the
>importance of a sketchbook at the elementary level. I want them to sketch
>project ideas, practice some drawing exercises, use it if they finish
>early, write and reflect on their work, take notes (5th gr), etc. What do
>you think? How do I say that?

Get:

Robinson, G. (1996). Sketchbook: Explore and store. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

In addition to providing a rationale for sketchbook use in the
classroom this book shows how sketchbooks can be applied to learning
in several subject areas (including art) across the curriculum.

Craig

CRAIG ROLAND Associate Professor of Art Education
School of Art and Art History - University of Florida
PO Box 115801, Gainesville Florida 32611-5801
Art Ed Office: 352.392.9165 Fax: 352-392-8453
homepage: http://grove.ufl.edu/~rolandc/homepage.html
visit the @rt room at: http://www.arts.ufl.edu/art/rt_room/

---