Re: Day Without Art

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 15:07:33 PDT

The Day Without Art commemoration is not new. It's been going on for many
years. It was initiated because (back in the beginning of our recognition of
the Aids virus) so many victims were artists and designers. And because of
their loss, the purpose was just this kind of awareness

 A "day without art" sounds interesting; no pictures, no cars,
> no furniture, everyone leaves their clothes at home, I don't
> think so. I don't even want to visualize our staff nude. I think
> I'll pass on this one.

I was a designer in NY back in the 70's and 80's, a time when we were just
learning and recognizing the disease. It seemed for a time, I was going to
funerals every other week. The industry recognized the loss and this day of
awareness was embraced by museums and organizations to emphasize how much
the loss affected the art community and just what a day without art would
mean to everyone. Unfortunately the association of the disease with a life
style that some find contrary to belief systems made it a politcal issue
instead of a human caring one.

I have a hard time finding humor in the intention, and I'm sad that the Day
of Awareness seems to have become a joke.

Patty

---