RE: disease/tragedy of the week

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 20:02:22 PDT

I think we all need to keep remember the victims in a way that is
appropriate for our students and ourselves. I have a problem with one
day memorials and month long lets honor subgroup x nonsense. Reason -
because I think it marginalizes the group you are supposedly honoring.

I feel that the inclusion of many different cultures should be an
essential part of the curriculum and not forces. In the natural course
of my class (5th grade) just TODAY we talked about the history of 5
different Native American Nations, Celts (I explained I don't want
people dressing in my family's Tartan so I refuse to dress in other
peoples traditional dress because I might be accidentally
insulting/disrespecting them) , Jews (Literature book), China, Africa,
Catholics (RE: 1st adm. rights), Eastern Orthodox/Greece (RE: a
celebration I saw on a trip to Greece I was waiting for the pull out
teacher to show up and take her 14 students 15 MIN LATE), and Police
officers as heroes. What is really amazing is that most of this
conversation happened between 10:00 - 11:45 the only time I have to
teach on Thursdays. (They spend the rest of the day at G&T; Kids and
Cops; and Library.)

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert