Re: Lead and other toxins.

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 04:47:19 PDT

Subject: From: Marvin Bartel <marvinpb@goshen.edu>

>Gasoline in the U.S. has been leadfree since about 1970. Earlier lead was
>added to enhance the octane rating of gasoline. However, lead was being
>inhaled with exhaust fumes. Population studies show that SAT scores have
>responded favorably since the removal of lead from the traffic smog in
>cities.

all information you shared Marvin was interesting and good, thanks. This
one point though I think is difficult. I mean...there are many factors.
Could be that SAT scores went up all over....could be they went up with the
Vietnam war ending. Who knows. Some might say that 18 was legal drinking
age back then, and that alcohol consumed among high school seniors may have
helped to raise scores. The problem with some studies like this is how they
interpret results. You can prove nearly anything you want to....

Larry S.

---