teaching and motherhood

---------

From: Catharine Ho (catharineho_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 22:10:38 PDT

>Hello all,

Dear Kelly, try to work out a symstem where you get a chance to sit down. I
taught middle/ high through two rough pregnancies. I had a bucket in the
store room for retching ( at least every hour or two) had music on all the
time ( to cover up the sound of my retching). I called upon students to help
with everything they were capable of - materials, displays, stock orders and
gave them treats/ gifts for thanks. I hired one student to come in and help
me over a holiday, paid her and wrote her a reference letter. I devised a
number system like a bakery. I got the class started, made my rounds to all
students, passed out numbers to the kids that obviously needed help and left
the remaining numbers on table for the kids to get when they needed. Then I
sat at a desk and put my feet up on a student chair and called out the
numbers. they came up two at a time and my legs got some much needed rest. I
took work home to do on saturdays and sundays and did not stay afterschool.
I work in a school where there is no union and I was too scared to call in
sick. I would highly recommend some rest days. I worked too hard for the
full first pregnancy and my first child paid for it. He is not as strong as
my second, with whom I was not as sick and I took the occasional day off.
We get a 6 week, after the baby is born, maternity leave then it's back full
time. Hope you try to nurse. I pumped during my lunch hour and my second
child nursed for two years and he is much healthier. Nursing also helped me
feel more part of his life since I couldn't be home during the day. The
great thing is the second child is much easier because now you know what to
expect and you can relax and enjoy them both more. Get some help at home
too! Catharine in H.K.