RE: Math/art

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 07:37:31 PDT

functions and fractals - Koch's snowflake, Serpenski's triangle

anamorphic art (distorted grids and proportional reasoning)

sculptures based on the platonic solids

There is a neat book called for geometry and art (may even be cleverly
titled "geometry and art") and a little device out of plastic called an Eye
Cue for discovering the geometry in compositions -

spatial visualization - drawing one side of a still life of blocks and cubes
from an opposite side -

Quilt patterns - (I have an old article somewhere from Quilter's Newsletter
magazine on two women that patch fractal patterns) -

Golden Ratio - the relationship between A, B and C - wonderful for
nonobjective paintings

There has been so much on here for art and math, Bunki has some great stuff
to share on her website - as do others. You may want to see if NYUS has any
information - there is/was a math professor that used to run workshops for
artists and mathematicians to work together -

Ellen

---