Re: Illustration class

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 20:23:40 PDT

In a message dated 8/27/02 4:52:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
stardust606@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Do I start them off immediately with a difficult task or
> ease them into it with something simple? And if the answer is something
> simple, then what should it be?

I would start them with a drawing assignment to test their skills and to see
where they are. If you have a certain level you would like them to achieve
then this will tell you how they do and if you need to work on basic skills.
Introducing color is also a good one to see if they can mix colors. Using
basic color theory to create shade and shadows without using a lot of black
as well as working with a color scheme.

I seem to do a lot of illustration type projects and I find that a new class
who I have not had before needs one assignment to get to know their skill
levels. Color pencil would be good for shading and drawing skills with color
mixing. I would take flowers from life and sketch them to perhaps see them
as a Georgia O'Keefe type compositions. Lots of layers and color
development.

Ken Schwab

---