From: Kerry L Murphy (klmvisarts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 18:44:23 PDT

Well stated! I personally have fashioned my art criticism approach after that of Karen Hamblen according to Blooms taxonomy. After my fellowship at the NGA teacher institute I have revised and reconsidered my approach after a workshop on visual thinking strategies. Previously I had applauded students as they answered questions that lead the discussion further along the path, the path I had devised. Although I had awareness that experiencing art meant a communion between the viewer and the artist, I still felt I was skilled at guiding students down the path of knowledge. I now question whether my excitement at student answers leaves students longing to get the "correct response" which of course, there is not one of...

I now find myself facilitating their discussions more, linking their statements, and rephrasing, more along the lines of Lawrence's exemplary phrases. Terry Barrett is another educator worth looking at for more on this delicate balance.
Also worth considering is the question of whether art criticism responses must always be linguistic-- why not visual responses. We ARE in the artroom afterall. This is not my idea but I can't give credit as my mind is full of back to school thoughts revolving around my two daughters as well as myself. It is a very good thing that I love my job sooo much because it is difficult to end the long summer days spent with my 8 and 9 year old children.

Heading to Newport this weekend for the Rhode Island Irish Festival!
Kerry

---