Re: rubber cement toxic!

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 13:52:40 PDT

I had a rubber cement experience that cured me of ever having it
around no matter how good it glues.

In the classroom I had a window shelf full of hardy indoor plants.
Just over night in the center there was a circle of dead leaves - some
from each of the plants that touched the circle. I picked off all the
dead leaves and turned the plants so that the healthy leaves filled
the space. Next day later the same circle was all dead leaves. I can
grow anything and keep it healthy so I was puzzled. I looked down
among the plants and there was an empty rubber cement bottle with the
lid closed but not really tight. (Some bright middle schooler didn't
want to refill when the bottle was empty so just hid it in the
plants.) Rubber cement is something I will not take a chance with.
It is just tooo tooo toxic!

Also the problems that these kind of toxic materials create are not
noticeable until years have passed. In the conference I attended with
the American Lung Assoc. I remember the speaker said that rubber
cement attacked the circulatory system with the emphasis on the
vascular system. Most people can go with out any systems until mid
40s into 50s before the deterioration begins to cause problems.

Of course now it is on the right to know list and if you have it in
the classroom you can be liable. Liable for what I am not clear on.

I had a friend who worked with a small amount of lead in her art work.
She was very healthy and kept the windows open and saw no reason to
make a change. In her late 30s she collapsed in her studio and was
taken to emergency. She died within a few days. Autopsy revealed
very high levels of lead. She never had a warning symptom.

To me it is just not worth the chance. I am glad you are still
healthy, Mike. There are many who are not.

----------
>From: Occasm@aol.com
>Subject: Re: rubber cement
>Date: Mon, Aug 26, 2002, 8:52 PM
> Jill,
> Although I'm a new art teacher myself, starting after Labor Day also, I can
> tell you to keep some rubber cement around. As a previous Art Director I
used rubber cement back in the pre-computer days in the studio. We
watched a lot of new stuff come out to mount comps, but nothing works
quite as well or is as permanent as rubber cement. Yeah, it''s
probably very toxic, but keep the windows open, the kids out and
don't breathe deeply. With all of those years around magic markers
(old design type and AD) and rubber cement, I'm still reasonably
healthy.

> mike sacco
> new to jr. high.

---