School Art Exhibition (long)

---------

From: Justin Kramer (justkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 23:02:56 PDT

We are having our school art exhibition this Friday. As you know our school
year ends in December. So in this show we have work collected from 3/4 of
the year. For the graduating class this is the opportunity to showcase their
efforts for the year. As a school we obtain a temporary license to serve
alcohol to adults (gets the parents in). We have our catering students serve
light freshments. Our senior music students perform background music. We
have the year 8 drama students dressed up as clowns to direction and offer
light entertainment outside the venue. During the opening function we have a
raffle (an artwork made by the art staff) and an art auction, this includes
paintings by the art teachers (sometimes this would include our
demonstration pieces). Entry to the show is via a gold coin donation.

This exhibition fulfills four aims - 1. showcase student artwork, 2. promote
community confidence in the arts, 3. fundraising, and 4. senior assessment
for "event management" component of non-board art course. One of the
mandatory requirements for my assessment include health and safety -
carrying, use of equipment. But thanks for the suggestions - will uses them
tomorrow.

This is the second art exhibition that senior students participate in. The
first occurred last month and is held in a regional gallery. It was called
the Ministers Awards for Excellence in Art. All the schools in this region
(24 in total) participate in this senior art exhibition. Students work are
judged and selected from this show to gone on to a much larger curated show.
This show then tours around the state. All students whose works are
selected are then invited to the capital city to participate in a weeks
workshop with practicing artists. This is a brilliant experience for them
and the supervising teachers who get to go - I went 2 years back and it was
fantastic - we went to all the main galleries, engaged in a full range of
art practices, went to live shows, openings, the full works. The week
usually coincides with arts week celebrations in the capital.

Justin

---