Re: First day of school

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 19:02:05 PDT

Tomorrow is my first day with students. My middle school and high school class will each be given a 5 1/2" square of white paper and will glue this onto a 6" square of colored paper. While I am going over the rules (I know - BORING!) they will be required to create an artwork of some sorts on the paper - could be a doodle, maybe a drawing. I will ask them to draw how they feel about their first day of school. On the back I will have them write something about the day - could be a poem, sentence, etc. This will busy their hands, give them someway to release the frustration of sitting after a summer of freedom, and allow me to save my real teaching for next week! :-)
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

  I liked the idea of putting name tags out in front of different seats which would be changed each day for a week or more. I intend to write the student's name on one side of folded tag board. An instruction sheet will be in front of each seat too explaining that they should design their first and second names in any form on the other side of the folded 17" long paper. If the folded names were standing up I could read them from the front or back of the art room. I'll have pencils, colored pencils, and markers on the table and let them do this for two days. It's most important I think to tell them they are being graded on this. Does anyone have a way of improving on this or a different idea? Thanks, EAC ---

---