Re: Pinch Pot Ideas and Creativity Questions

---------

From: mike delaney (edelaney_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 16:35:33 PDT

This week I began my ceramics classes with an activity that had to do with creativity. I found the assignment from a web site from Goshen College. Just type that into your search. This project had the kids make a list that had to do witht he oword bird (2 min) Then discuss fluency. After that they closed their eyes and sculpted the esence of a bird. Of course they did not understand that . Then I passed out a xerox copy of Brancusie's sculpture "winged feather". This was all layed out int he lesson. I further had them sketch the photo. I then had them explain the word essence from looking at that sculpture. They then remade their first project-( 10 minutes) to show essence. At the end of the lesson I had them journal and also we had a judging contest to see whose was the most creative, best craftsmanship and best texture.

The next lesson I said we were going to begin a unit on primitive pottery. I took the kids outside- I took blankets to sit under the trees. I had kids carry out a tub of reclaim and they were to dig the clay like it was out of a creek. They worked their clay with no instruction as if they were primitive people. Their assignment was to make a lidded container.
Then tomorrow I will have them do a samll sketch for their sketchbooks of the primitive container. we will then have a history lesson that talks about primitive ceramics. I will show them pictures of primitive sculptures and they will them sculpt one that could be used as an amulet or a key fob.

Another idea witht he pinched forms is that the African culture would sculpt charachteristics of an animal as deciration to their forms. I have in the past had them do the same. The piinched for would either have the texture or have parts of the animal sculpted . (you get the idea)

The favorite pinch form from last year was: Someone had a bunh of red pepers in the school lounge to give away. I think you could use any fruit. I took about 6-8 and had them in the class for them to do contour lines, etc. I them had them make a pinched form and it had to have characteristics of a peper. They were wonderful.

---