One-Liners for Teachers....more Jim Faye

---------

From: jtowle (thetowles_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 15:29:23 PDT

Here are some good 'empathy statements' to use when a student approaches you with a problem or issue. These statements put the ball in the kids court so that they're responsible for the issue.

Remember that these statements have to be genuinely empathic...NOT sarcastic. (For example, I could NEVER say "What a bummer" without sounding sarcastic!:)

What a bummer.

Thatís never good.

Oh honey.

Ohhhh (While touching head)

Oh man.

How sad for you.

Also, here are some Brain-deadening One-Liners to end a whining/conflict/argument with students. I use these on those students who always say "This is stupid." or "This SUCKS!" These usually leave students somewhat speechless...

Probably so.

Now that's a thought.

Nice try.

Iíll love you wherever you live. (use on your own kids)

Iíll like you wherever you go to school.

I bet it feels that way.

Thanks for sharing.

That's an option.

I bet thatís true.

I love/like you too much to argue.

Could be.

Last but not least, NEVER use the following comeback on a student. Save for a spouse or friend when you really want to cause some trouble...

Sucks to be you.

JT

---