Insects in art

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 12:36:42 PDT

How about some larger than life paper mache insects? Many years ago there
was an article in Smithsonian Magazine about a man who carved huge insects
out of wood. I knew an elementary teacher who used him as inspiration to
make large dragonflies with second graders and large praying mantises with
third graders. They were terrific. She displayed them hanging from the
ceiling. Armatures were made with rolled up newspapers. You could use wire
and aluminum foil, too. Fifth graders should have no trouble creating their
own larger than life bug. Start by making some careful observations from
life.

---