More on the first day of school...

---------

From: Kerry L Murphy (klmvisarts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 10:46:15 PDT

Thanks to EAC for responding! More on the subject...

When I have art one, two, and drawing & pai (grd.9-12)students fill out their index card for my file I asked them to draw a VERY simple still life- all white- cones, spheres, etc. on the back of the card. Front has name, address, phone #, grade, and art experiences. I did get the feeling that they were really pleased to DO something. This gives me something to reference for their drawing ability and after they do a still life in class (after learning gesture, contour, sketching, line quality, value, etc.) they are usually very impressed with the growth they made!

For learning names- I have students create a text and image artwork that is based on an acrostic of their name. I posted this about a year ago. I will use it again for my art mini class (this sooo needs to be renamed). Anyway, they incorporate the text into the collage image or use it to create a border. It really worked well for me as an added way to remember names!
EX: Kind moments
      Ever close to me
      Relived and
      Revisited only with
      You

Now back to stripping my hallway of 1940s wallpaper!!!
Kerry

---