Wacom Digital tablet...back to tacit feel!

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 03:34:53 PDT

Isn't it an irony that in the midst of economic turmoil, cuts, and in our
case annual fear if our small school in a national forest will continue to
get funding to operate...that once in awhile grants or monies come thru that
need to be used and spent as though there were no tomorrow?

I ordered cases and cases of clay, that will last a few years really in case
such monies are not there next year, or the next; and a few other really
nice things. For one, I have a new eMac this year...loaded with Photoshop
7.0 and ordered and hooked up a Wacom 6" x 8" tablet with wireless stylus.
Wow....is that a trip!

Our computer lab leases their computers, and this year we got a room full of
new eMacs where I will teach computer graphic art. No Wacoms for each
machine in there, but surely will keep ordering a few more in the future in
mind that could be hooked up in there.

I know many artists and even art teachers are put off some by the use of the
computer for producing art. Myself a painter with works in a number of
galleries, I can understand. I'll tell you though, what a world of
difference using a pressure sensitive wireless stylus is! I spent the
greater part of yesterday afternoon in my room messing with it, and it
really allows the freedom to digitally manipulate images in a manner more in
line with how artists work. If you haven't had a chance to work with one
and have an opportunity to, I would highly recomment it!

It'll take about 15 minutes to sorta get the hang of it. You have to get
used to looking at the monitor while your hand is drawing elsewhere, (on the
pad off to the side on your desk), but line hatching, building up,
blending....its all there! Here's a website showing the one I have...
http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/products.cfm?sku=GD68

Larry S.
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---