First day of school

---------

From: Kerry L Murphy (klmvisarts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 18:59:43 PDT

Hello old friends...
I am so glad to be back on this list! I took last year off because of a last minute switch from elementary to high school. Same town just switched levels. What a wonderful but whirlwind year! Just wondered what ideas people have for first day meetings. Last year I had a survey form of art experiences and had students fill out index cards with info so that I could make contact easily and have a reference on each students. I did not ask students to sign a contract but I am considering that for the upcoming year. I have one more week of summer.

I would also like to make our first meeting a bit more dramatic-- an art criticism activity or aesthetics discussion? I am thinking of how long the first days are when they are filled with speeches and rules. I am balancing that with wanting to establish boundaries right away. Thought I would seek the seasoned advice of all the secondary art educators on this list!

Good luck with the start of the school year!
Thank you in advance,
Kerry

---