RE: Teaching Creativity and Synectics

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 18:12:03 PDT

I love both Synectics books - if you are looking for something new to try -
and a way to incorporate art, science and literature - please look at The
Private Eye - Thinking by Analogy - I sent this post back in 2000 - still
love the book -
there is legislation under way for low performing schools to include the
arts in instruction - wonderful resource for language arts -

Ellen

Original post:
I attended a session at the National Science Teachers Association conference
that I really enjoyed... it was by the author of the book 'Private Eye'...
You start with jeweler's loupes (can be ordered through the book) and start
looking at things close-up, one benefit of using the loupe over a hand lens
is that it is like a blinder and gets rid of competing background.

It is a book for writing, science, math and art.

I ordered twelve for our teacher study group and will be implementing some
of the exercises in the fall....

It is based on starting with the question 'what else' does it (the object)
look like - similes to metaphors to analogies to other connections
(synectics).

My fourth and fifth graders used the loupes to generate drawings for the
APTA calendar...

To share their writing -
Dandelions:

Looks like a snowflake,
in a snowy blizzard.
A giant tree
towering above all other objects.
The spines of a porcupine, scaring off all pred!
ators.
A swirling tornado
spinning and whirling through the night.

Here's another:
A half-blown wish drifting into the wind
wispy fairies waiting to be blown free from their solitary dungeon pores
and float off to the sun

'Four Pine Needles Split Into Parts'
Fans to shade and cool an African King
Foliage to conceal a stalking tiger
A desolate pathway ascending into a wild jungle
Palm trees swaying and bending in the afternoon breeze
A doorway to an ancient and mysterious world.

Of course you've got one or two "it looks like a rock because it is a
rock"...

Soooooo anyway - this book may help - it's not really a 'step by step' my
way book - just a god resource... there are a couple of companion books
coming out soon.

Private Eye
Looking/Thinking by Analogy

Kerry Ruef