First project - pondering

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 17:16:40 PDT

I have often used this lesson, called "Personality Collage" Here
are the steps

1. Have students list 20 things about themselves. I have even
had them answer certain questions, ex. Cultural Background.
2. Then I have them draw illustrations about each item on the
list. If students put down items such as sports, etc, I have
them bring that basketball in to draw, I feel this gets them
into the observation mode.
3. They then cut out each simple, contour drawing and arrange on
a 9x 12 piece of paper, some items can hang off the edge, they
may not use all 20;.
4. I then give them an 18 x 20 sheet of paper and the students
enlarge the collage using the grid method.
5. As I teach drawing, painting for the first semester, they
practice on the large collage with in turn is 1/4 of semester
exam grade. Some look really great. Since we use tempera
during color exercise, we do the large drawing on manilla paper,
heavy duty.

After they practice the technique such as stippling on the large
collage, then they do a major stippling drawing , subject varies
year to year.

Hope this makes sense to some.

Jackie Aust
Director of Visual Art (K-12)