Re: PS re: "Wot to do?"

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 10:36:46 PDT

> sharon@art-rageous.net wrote:
>
> Another reason that I don't jump in to regular instruction for a week
> or so is that this school's scheduling is just crazy! Kids are added
> in, dropped out and switched around like crazy the first couple of
> weeks. I learned (after the first year) to not put anyone's name in
> INK in my grade book until the second grading period!

Hey, I thought that was just at MY school! For several years, due to an
overly-sympathetic, enabling counselor, kids were allowed to change
classes for up to three weeks, sometimes "auditioning" several classes.
There are also parents who have a permanent mindset that school doesn't
start until after Labor Day (we start mid-August). I don't even commit
to a _gradebook_ until after the third week. I just print separate
attendance and grade lists on paper and use those.

I did, however, stop catering to the bozos who can't get it together and
started teaching my curric from the beginning. I tell them: You have a
choice of either lunch or after school to come in and learn the skills
that you missed.

Maggie

---