Re: September 11th Memorial Lesson

---------

From: Heather Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 16:12:26 PDT

We have started planning and really are feeling the time crunch- we need
to finalize planning very quickly. We know we want to emphasize the
bravery of those who lost their lives. We are going to have an
assembly/program with the choir and band and students doing readings of
poems and/or stories- a readers' theater sort of thing.
We are also putting together a quilt. Each class will create one square
and parents have volunteered to assemble it. It will be quite large and
assembled in sections like the Aids quilt so we can put the sections
together and hang it from the top of our two story building on that day
and then separate the sections to hang on smaller walls inside the
school later. We are using red, white, blue, purple, yellow and black
and giving the teachers info on color symbolism to use with their class.
We are also giving them some patterns for stars, hearts, doves, eagles,
a flower, and whatever other appropriate symbols we come up with. The
classes can then design a patchwork, appliqué square any way they want.
If teachers don't want to sew, and most won't we are supplying fabric
glue. We are also thinking of making a tree of hope banner to hang- a
large strip of canvas with a tree trunk and branches painted on it. Then
the kids can take turns at lunch to add a hand print using a variety of
green paints to form leaves. I like the idea of using the freedoms as
part of the memorial. I will take that to our committee. I was just
looking at the archives from that week for some ideas and the sadness
hit me all over again. It is going to be a tough day.
Heather