FW: MAEA/NAEA - Eric Carle-General Session speaker for Minneapolis... for Bunki

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 05:31:18 PDT

yes, bunki, there is a santa claus.
----------
From: Cindy Smith <cysmith@edzone.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:19:50 -0700
To: "maea memberships (A-E)" <cysmith@edzone.net>
Subject: MAEA/NAEA - Eric Carl named General Session speaker for Minneapolis

NAEA CONVENTION UPDATE
NATIONAL ART EDUCATION ASSOCIATION
Office of the Executive Director
Phone 703-860-8000 Fax 703-860-2960
E-mail: naea@dgs.dgsys.com

ERIC CARLE NAMED GENERAL SESSION SPEAKER FOR MINNEAPOLIS

€ Creator of The Very Hungry Caterpiller

Reston, VA (August 22, 2002)‹Andrew Buck, NAEA Convention Program
Coordinator, announced that Eric Booth has been named as a General Session
Speaker for the NAEA Convention in Minneapolis.

Eric Carle is acclaimed and beloved as the creator of brilliantly
illustrated
and innovatively designed picture books for very young children. Since he
began publishing books for children in 1967, Eric Carle has illustrated more
than 70 books, including many best sellers, most of which he also wrote.

His best-known work, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, has found its way into the
hearts of literally millions of children all over the world; has been
translated into more than 30 languages and has sold one copy every minute,
somewhere in the world, since it was first published in 1969.

Born in Syracuse, NY, to German immigrant parents, Eric Carle moved to
Germany with his mother and father when he was six years old; he was
educated
there, and graduated from the prestigious art school, the Stuttgart Akademie
der bildenden Künste. His dream was always to return to America, the land of
his happiest childhood memories. In 1952, with a portfolio in hand and forty
dollars in his pocket, he arrived in New York City. Soon he found a job as a
graphic designer in the promotion department of The New York Times. Later,
he
served as an advertising agency art director for several years.

When respected educator and author, Bill Martin Jr saw a picture of a
lobster
Eric Carle had created for an advertisement, he invited Eric Carle to
illustrate a story he had written. The result of this collaboration was Eric
Carle's first children's book, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? was
published in 1967.

"When I first began to think about children's books, it reawakened in me
struggles of my own childhood in Germany, touching an unfinished area of my
own growing up. A child spends five years basically at home, a place of
warmth, play and protection. Then school begins, and all of a sudden it is
world of schedule, abstraction, and organized learning. I decided I wanted
create books that make this transition easier." He has been creating
children's books ever since.

Eric Carle's art is distinctive and instantly recognizable. His
illustrations
are created in collage technique, using hand-painted tissue papers, which he
cuts and layers to form bright and cheerful images. The secret of Eric
Carle's books' appeal lies in his intuitive understanding of and respect for
children, and his shared sense of their most cherished thoughts and emotions

---