RE: Bipolar Disorder

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 19:12:43 PDT

Thank you,
        This happened to my young cousin.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert

-----Original Message-----
From: croberts [mailto:croberts@coastalnet.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 4:20 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Bipolar Disorder

In case you haven't read this week's issue of Time (August 19, 2002),
you
may want to check it out.

It has an excellent article on Bipolar Disorder, which also includes a
checklist of 40 warning signs.

I have a severe bipolar student and I read everything I can find on this
in
order to better understand her problems.

In a meeting, a school psychologist told us that they are finding that
many
children who have been diagnosed with extreme ADHD and medicated with
Ritalin...or diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder, actually are
bipolar...and that doctors have difficulty diagnosing this disorder and
getting them correctly medicated.

Just wanted to share this with you.
Carolyn

---