how do deal with reluctant students in a class of 40?

---------

From: S.A.M Teo (sarah_amteo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 08:08:07 PDT

i have been teaching in a secondary school for two years. since then i have
classes with approximately 40 students in each of them. i find it really
difficult to manage the class especially there are many reluctant student.

reasons?
1. they are not interested in art
2. family problems i.e financial, do not get attention from parents
3. bad influences from peers
4. I am a very young female teacher who does not speak their language very
well

i have tried so hard but i still always have students who climb wall, play
'paper'football, shouting at friends, vandalised chairs and table in the
classroom. I AM HERE, THEY IGNORE ME. SOMEONE, PLEASE HELP!!

thank you,
Sarah Teo