Re: how do deal with reluctant students in a class of 40?

---------

From: jtowle (thetowles_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 09:23:30 PDT

Jim Faye & Fred Jones have good ideas for dealing with classroom discipline.

Jones is an advocate for proximity control... the arrangement of your room speaks louder than you. Make sure that you can move around the room. You being close to the students curbs some behavior issues. He also says NEVER react. Pause and take a deep breath before dealing with ANY unfavorable act.

Faye's philosophy is to teach responsibility. He would suggest classroom expectations as this:

-I will treat you with respect so that you will know how to treat others. (Explain: Do YOU like to be yelled at, called nasty names and ignored? Neither does anyone else.)

-Feel free to do anything in this classroom that does NOT cause a problem for anyone else. (Explain: What sorts of things cause problems for you? These are things that cause a problem for me.)

-If you cause a problem, you will be asked to solve it. If you don't or refuse, I will solve the problem for you. (Explain: If I have to solve your problems, it will cost you.)

-If you think something is unfair, whisper in my ear and we'll talk about it later. (Explain: This would be a private discussion, not a classroom discussion.)

Also, be empathetic and by all means do NOT argue with a student. If you argue, you've lost. Here are some scenerios & comebacks to use with students...

Student: "This project is stupid."
Teacher: "That very well could be." (turn around and walk away.)

Student: "I forgot my pencil."
Teacher: "Ooooh, now that's never good. What are you going to do about that?"
Student: "I don't know."
Teacher: "Would you like to know how other students have solved this problem?"
Student: "Sure"
Teacher: "You could look around on the floor for an abandonded one, or borrow one from a neighbor, or purchase one from me for a quarter. Let me know how it works out for you." (whip your head around and walk away.)

Student: inappropriate behavior
Teacher: "I'm sorry you've made that choice. How are you going to fix this?"

If you end up having to send kids to the office, make sure you have administrative support.

About the language issue, I used to teach majority hispanic population. Practice nasty facial expressions.... kids can read your face. (Be aware though in some cultures it is disrespectful for kids to look adults in the eyes.)

Hope this helps a little. My hubby is a Jim Faye trainer and I've started using his philosophy this year. The classroom atmosphere has done a COMPLETE turn around for the better since I've stopped taking on everyone else's problems.

JT

---