Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: how do deal with reluctant students in a class of 40?

Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 23:59:04 PDT

Dear Vicki:

Thank you so much for brightening my day! :) Most of the discipline
problems I encounter in schools is because kids feel like they are not
being "listened to." Sure, it's time consuming but when a teacher takes
the time to listen, students truly respond. Of course, you have to set
boundaries, guidelines, and enforce discipline as well. Kids seem to
"fall in love" with a caring soul. When I walk down the halls of a
school in which I am performing a residency, I can't take two steps
without four or five kids hugging my legs. When you truly care, it
shows and the kids know it.

As far as my storytelling, I travel anywhere my stories take me. I
haven't been to Tennessee yet and I would love to go! The National
Storytelling Festival is held in Jonesboro every year and I haven't made
it yet. I always attend the National Storytelling Conference which
rotates to different cities each year. Please visit my website If you are really interested in booking
or know other schools who are, give me a call and we'll discuss it!

I love telling stories. I love working with kids. I have a great job.

Thank you again for your kind words. I can tell that you too are a
"caring soul."

Dianne de Las Casas
Professional Storyteller
Director, Story Ballet Magic
President, ICAN - Independent Children's Artist Network
Co-Publisher, Working smARTS e-newsletter for children's artists
Louisiana State Liaison, National Storytelling Network
Founder, childrensartists e-group on
P.O. Box 2656
Harvey, LA 70059

"ICAN Make a Difference with the Arts!"