RE: how do deal with reluctant students in a class of 40?

---------

dlcstory_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 23:59:04 PDT

Dear Vicki:

Thank you so much for brightening my day! :) Most of the discipline
problems I encounter in schools is because kids feel like they are not
being "listened to." Sure, it's time consuming but when a teacher takes
the time to listen, students truly respond. Of course, you have to set
boundaries, guidelines, and enforce discipline as well. Kids seem to
"fall in love" with a caring soul. When I walk down the halls of a
school in which I am performing a residency, I can't take two steps
without four or five kids hugging my legs. When you truly care, it
shows and the kids know it.

As far as my storytelling, I travel anywhere my stories take me. I
haven't been to Tennessee yet and I would love to go! The National
Storytelling Festival is held in Jonesboro every year and I haven't made
it yet. I always attend the National Storytelling Conference which
rotates to different cities each year. Please visit my website
http://www.storyconnection.net. If you are really interested in booking
or know other schools who are, give me a call and we'll discuss it!

I love telling stories. I love working with kids. I have a great job.

Thank you again for your kind words. I can tell that you too are a
"caring soul."

Warmly,
Dianne

Dianne de Las Casas
Professional Storyteller
Director, Story Ballet Magic
President, ICAN - Independent Children's Artist Network
Co-Publisher, Working smARTS e-newsletter for children's artists
Louisiana State Liaison, National Storytelling Network
Founder, childrensartists e-group on Yahoogroups.com
P.O. Box 2656
Harvey, LA 70059
504-368-1831ph/fax
http://www.storyconnection.net