Re: how do deal with reluctant students in a class of 40?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 17:40:22 PDT

jtowle wrote:

> Jim Faye & Fred Jones have good ideas for dealing with classroom discipline.
>
> Jones is an advocate for proximity control... the arrangement of your room speaks louder than you. Make sure that you can move around the room. You being close to the students curbs some behavior issues. He also says NEVER react. Pause and take a deep breath before dealing with ANY unfavorable act.

I second the Fred Jones recommendation; he spoke at a conference
sponsored by my district last fall, and we were each given his book.
It's great. I really like Harry Wong, also, who recommends establishing
classroom procedures and routines the very first day. It really does
work. Your students sound like mine; they actually crave structure and
routine, I think because their home lives are often so chaotic. They
really want to know what to expect when they walk into your room.

I don't know Jim Faye's work.

For students who are actually vandalizing and damaging your room, I hope
you have some backup from the admin in your building.

Maggie

---