Re: Inquiry questions that work-

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 06:18:06 PDT

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>What are some good inquiry questions to start a class. Which ones work for
>you all? I admit this has always been my weak spot. Finding the key to
>getting students drawn into the lesson.

I try to use questions about their own personal experience to start things off.
 If we're making jewelry, I ask what kind of jewelry they wear and why. If
we're learning to use and care for paint brushes, I ask who in their families
uses brushes. If we're doing a graphic design unit, I ask when they have made
posters. For ceramics, I want to know what they have at home that is made from
ceramic clay. Maybe for landscapes, I would show several and ask who had seen
or visited places like the paintings. . .

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---