Re: Pinch Pot Ideas and Creativity Questions

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 07:50:12 PDT

  If you have any
> suggestions, projects that worked for you in the
> past
> imagination and come up with their own ideas.

I had my students make whistles. They make a small
pinch pot, then connect a slab rolled tube (small
also). The challenge is to connect the tube using the
scoring method, and the whistle needs to stand without
tipping. I also tell my students it has to work
(whistle). They add symbols, designs, burnish, paint,
shoe polish, or glaze. If the whistle does not
"whistle" after Bisque Fire I don't take points away,
sometimes that happens, they all whistle before the
first fire.

  I find that most of the time the student
> will fall back on what is safe or what they know,

This is always our challenge isn't it! With this
particular project I talk about old cultures who used
whistles or flutes for different reasons and ask the
students to create a use for their whistle in their
culture. The boys might use a "calling" type theme as
in hunting, the girls might use a protection theme. It
is very interesting when they give critiques and blow
their whistles describing what they are used for!
Asking the students what their message/meaning is in
all their art work helps them break away from the
"safe" issue, yet they are safe because you are giving
the basic lesson to the entire class. Maggie White
said it perfectly in her reply to this question (or so
I think!). Hope this helps Joe.
Cindi