Responding to 9/11 and Woody's reply

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 08:14:29 PDT

Well stated, Woody!

I agree that the response many people seem to be taking smacks to a certain
degree of the narrow focused, black and white thinking that indeed had to
have been a part of the thought process that initiated the attack to begin
with.

It would serve us all better to cherish the memory of those who lost their
lives in the horrific tragedy by trying to bring a greater understanding of
both the diversity of other cultures to our students as well as our common
humanity. If we (all peoples), are truly to ever get beyond resorting to
death and destruction as a means to attempt to solve our problems, it will
be largely due to the fact that we truly value each other as human beings
and not just as so many statistics that can be callously defined as 'us
versus them'.

The United States, with all our resources, international influence and
democratic philosophy revolving around equality, freedom and human rights,
is certainly a logical choice to spearhead such a direction. It would
certainly be a much more beneficial road for us to embark upon than the one
some have gotten sidetracked on lately that has been more about corporate
greed and deception that does little to project much of a positive image to
the rest of the world.

I would invite those of you who would like to check out some positive and
easily doable proactive peace related projects to go to Tappedin's calendar
(http://www.tappedin.org) and check out the Blanketing the World with Peace
Project and the upcoming ArtsConnected discussions in September where tools
for teachers and students are being discussed to help us move in a healthier
and more humane direction.

Kevan

---