Re: budget cuts/large class update

---------

From: gail kizis (smokealarm7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 19:44:58 PDT

teresa,
my heart goes out to you! we have many of the same problems here in wichita
falls(tx). my advanced classes are all the way you describe yours.
counselors are over a barrel trying to stretch too many kids into too few
electives. what i do, just to make it easy on myself, is to have all the
kids in that class do the same basic project but require the advanced kids
to do it bigger or in a more complicated way. i guess the "teacher-eese" for
that is extending the lesson. for instance if the assignment calls for them
to draw personal trinkets arranged in their own personal still life, i will
have the less experienced bring in 3 objects, write a 1 paragraph artist's
statement with one art history reference and use pencil to achieve the full
range of values and draw realistically - the advanced kids would have to
bring in 7 items that related to their own personal artist's statement (1
page typed with detailed art history and current visual influences
referenced)
and they would use water soluble oil pastels, transparent overlay, realistic
pencil rendering and text...all in the same time frame. lots of moaning and
"not fay-errr" comments ensue but what else can a teacher do to keep
everyone challenged. as a side note - for the reduced mastery kids who
will be placed in the advanced drawing classes because "there is just no
where else to put them", i will give them extra time, cut the artist's
statement down to an artist's sentence, grade liberally, etc. this is just
how i do it to keep from writing individual lesson plans and i'm sure those
with many more years experience have better ways.
it helps me to remember that i don't have to be perfect.
best wishes,
gail in wichita falls texas----- Original Message -----