Re: Mural

---------

From: Tomi Murhpy Oshiro (tomi_art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 18:02:34 PDT

Re: Mural
There is a fabulous thematic unit concerning murals & printmaking from the Getty called Protest & Persuasion. It is part of a unit on Chicano/a Art. I'm doing the printmaking unit for my 7th grade class and the mural portion for my 8th graders.
http://www.getty.edu
http://mati.eas.asu.edu:8421/ChicanArte/theme.res.html

This is my 1st time teaching art and I've taken on this huge project... maybe you all could help? I ordered 160 6x6 inch bisque tiles from NASCO as well as 6 ceramic under glaze sets from SAX. I would like the student body to be involved -maybe in choosing the sight and the theme (anti-gangs, education, peace ect.)

Here's part one of my question:
I'm not sure if we should choose one person's design from each class (35 students)and reproduce it tile by tile for a huge mural- or have students naturally break into small groups or have each student design their own tile? Or, should the class take a vote and reproduce a work of art that is meaningful to them and re-interput it? A Diego Rivera comes to mind.
Of course I've never used a kiln before! I also ordred underglaze black pencils and crayons fromTRIARCO, and a gallon of clear trans. glaze. I lso ordred 4 tile setters to place the tiles in the kiln. My questions are: how long will it take me to fire these tiles? What setting should I use? Can we put the glaze on top of the underglaze or do we have to fire it then glaze it? Am I crazy for trying this?
Eager for suggestions- Tomasita in Pico Rivera, CA part of LA County
(ps LA has the most murals in the world!)
 ArtsEdNet Talk digest wrote: ARTSEDNET Digest for Tuesday, August 20, 2002.

1. Re: number of classes
2. Re: number of classes
3. Re: standing up for yourself
4. Re: Fame ideas?
5. Re: union activism
6. Re: number of classes
7. Re: Casting??? Would this work?? Brainstorming.
8. budget cuts
9. Re: budget cuts
10. Duplication of Barbie and Friends
11. RE: budget cuts
12. Check out Curriculum: Art Criticism --Haring kids site many lesson plans
13. Art Careers
14. Check out arttango: Your source for art education (look at the price of these !)
15. Re: Duplication of Barbie and Friends
16. I want to make a change in my posting... Help.
17. RE: union activism
18. WORTH THINKING ABOUT: THE DISAPPEARANCE OF CHILDHOOD
19. MURAL BRAINSTORMING
20. Art Class for Gifted fifth grade artists
21. budget cuts, etc.
22. HS jewelry curriculum
23. RE: budget cuts, etc.
24. budget cuts, etc
25. RE: budget cuts, etc
26. budget cuts, etc (long)
27. Interesting Article
28. Re: Question on veneer projects
29. Re: WORTH THINKING ABOUT: THE DISAPPEARANCE OF CHILDHOOD
30. Re: a bus!
31. Back to classroom
32. Re: Laguna self-hardening or ovencraft clay??
33. MN Members
34. Re: budget cuts/large class update
35. planning 9/11 observances
36. Re: Art Class for Gifted fifth grade artists
37. Re: MURAL BRAINSTORMING
38. Re: monart method
39. Re: number of classes
40. Re: 43 in Art Class....mine are in 6th grade
41. Re: 43 in Art Class....mine are in 6th grade
42. Re: budget cuts/large class update
43. RE: WORTH THINKING ABOUT: THE DISAPPEARANCE OF CHILDHOOD
44. Re: number of classes
45. RE: number of classes
46. Re: AP Art Course
47. Re: My Super Sketchbook Lesson
48. Re: NGA curriculum packet
49. Re: MURAL BRAINSTORMING & teaching mentally impaired