RE: budget cuts

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 17:20:08 PDT

Joe,

What school system do you teach in, here in Ohio?

>> Some of you may have heard that Cleveland just hired a new
>> superintendent at $270k/yr and perks out the whazoo. As one newspaper
>
> I can't agree here though. A system as large as Cleveland
> should be run by someone who gets paid appropriately. You
> can't expect teacher salaries to go up if the person in
> charge of such a huge amount of money and personnel isn't
> appropriately compensated.

I have no problem with someone getting paid appropriately; time will
tell if the new super is worth her weight. I do have a problem with
someone getting paid that much when teachers in the system get paid so
little. When I first moved to Akron, about 13 years ago, there was an
Akron teacher's strike. Beginning pay was, I think, around $15k (I may
be wrong), but I do know that they were primarily striking over pay.
Right in the middle of the strike, the super, Conrad Ott, a good old boy
if there ever was one, was given a pay raise up to something like $120k.
That's the kind of thing that I think is definitely unbalanced and
unjust.

And I question contracts that cover people even if they screw up. Make
or break the Cleveland Public School system, the super will walk away a
fairly wealthy person. Where's the accountability and responsibility in
that?

> My guess is unless our unions get the parents on our side and
> fight for changes, the politicians will continue to blast
> schools and avoid the changes that would help.

Couldn't agree with you more.

> I'm sorry that you are facing a strike.

Not my strike and, on the plus side, a got a call today to say that the
strike has been settled. I'm very happy about that. I hate strikes,
especially in schools where the main people to suffer are just the ones
who don't have a voice - the students.

> Just my two cents worth, which isn't worth much.

You must have learned that in public school. ;>)
It's worth a lot more, and that's one of the things we have to make sure
the students know.

Larry Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

---